- Child will understand the concept of ordinal numbers
- Child will apply the concept in a structured given task
- Five to six mega blocks
- Black permanent marker
- Scotch clear tape
Time needed: around 25 minutes
- 10 minutes to prepare the materials
- 15 minutes to explain the concept and carry out the lesson
- Stick the clear tape across and around each mega block individually.
- On the wider side, write the ordinal numbers. I chose to write ‘Ordinal number’ on one of the mega blocks, followed by the definition on the back of the mega blocks as C is a highly visual learner.
- Explained to C what ordinal numbers meant using the header ‘Ordinal numbers’ and getting him to read out the definition at the back of the block.
- Showed him the concept using the toy cars at home.
- Next, I placed the mega blocks on the floor and got him to arrange the ordinal numbers in sequence.
He really enjoyed it and was willing to let me take a photo of his completed ordinal numbers mega tower.
End of lesson 1.